Thursday, February 28, 2013

All in a Day's Sail


Most of America's Cup Charters' crew have spent a good portion of their lives on the water, around boats or in a shipyard.  They are doing what they love and their passion translates to the services they provide.  In the time they have been sailing, they've encountered many situations and use that experience to help our customers make the most out of their on-water adventure.  In previous blogs, we've profiled a few of our crew.  Here's a dossier on one of our crew who's spent over half a decade with us.  Meet Ben.

Ben
Name:  Ben Farrar
My hometown is:  Cambridge, Ohio
I've worked at ACC:  over a half-decade, I started in 2007
I learned to sail:
   where?  Salt Fork Lake, Ohio
   on what?  Sunfish & Hobie Cats
   how old?  11
My role at ACC is:  First mate & relief captain on Intrepid
Before ACC:  I worked in San Diego on the Schooner America
In the off season:  I repair boats - Intrepid  and 2 other 12 meters in the Newport fleet, USA 61 and KZ 3                                                                    
My perfect day entails:  relaxing and having no responsibilities
My favorite book is:  Cats Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut
My favorite food is:   anything Mexican
My favorite sailing memory is:  Sailing from Key West to San Diego via the Panama Canal.  There was also a special day on Intrepid when Olin Stephens, the designer of Intrepid, came down to the dock for a visit.  I gave him a hand on to the deck of Intrepid and he reminisced about how he designed her.  At the time, he was 99 years old. It was a privilege to meet him, show him around the boat and see his reaction to how Intrepid looks today.  He told me Intrepid was always one of the favorite boats he had designed.  I have to agree with him!

We hope you'll sail with us this coming season and meet Ben.  You can usually find him barefoot on the deck of Intrepid!

Our Intrepid racing team, Ben is 4th from the right

A wet sheet and a flowing sea,
A wind that follows fast 

And fills the white and rustling sail

And bends the gallant mast.

Allan Cunningham

No comments:

Post a Comment